Sunday, June 20, 2010

[insert vuvuzela noise here. LOUDLY]




The World Cup is the coolest thing to happen to the sporting world since the creation of the sphere.

But I digress. You know how you won't shutup about 'those super annoying horns that they play constantly' during the World Cup? Please mask your intolerance and ignorance of other cultures in a slightly more discreet manner next time, thank you. I know we live in a culture that is based around complaining (I mean come on, this is a blog, of course I'm complaining, too), but think about that for the next day or two. In all your interactions in one day, try to count the number of complaints that you hear from friends, family members, co-workers, talking heads (on TV, not the band), or accidentially (yea, right) overhear in other people's conversations. I'm just gonna go out on a limb and say that it is an excessive amount.

Back to the point.

Yes, I also understand that you are new to the beautiful game of soccer and need to hear the announcers explain what is going on loud and clear, so pressing the mute button becomes a very difficult task. But do you think you could just TRY and appreciate a foreign culture? South Africa is not the USA. Not even close. For one, it's winter there (which is why everyone on the benches is wearing huge jackets and looks like they're freezing) which, I know, is hard to imagine. I feel like it was just yesterday, I was complaining about how the 20 below windchill was making my lips feel all dry. But that's only a geographical difference. How about the fact that the country was run by one of the most corrupt governments in the history of the world (see: apartheid) until 1994? It's worlds away from the place that we Americans live.

The vuvuzelas are just part of their culture. It's the way they cheer at soccer games. Why does everyone seem to be on this (watch this slightly word-altering pun) banwagon (get it? cause they want to ban the horns?) to prohibit, or at least limit, the usage of the horns? It's absolutely appalling that this sense of ethnocentrism is okay with so many people. I feel like banning the vuvuzelas from soccer stadiums in South Africa is like me walking into someone else's house and asking them to take down pictures and decorations because I find them bothersome. Tell me that's not messed up.

I bet there are other cultures in the world that find it strange, annoying, and stupid that they play organs and music and chant stupid things at baseball and football games in America (I also bet that other cultures in the world find it strange, annoying, and stupid that the sports of baseball and football even exist), but when they play here or watch the games on TV, they don't try to get the noises outlawed.
Soccer is the world's game, and I hate to break it to you, but most of the world is outside the US. Deal with it. If you can't, the game of soccer doesn't want you anyway. Go back to your game that encourages eating, drug use, and rotting your teeth while you stand around and take a swing at a ball every now and again. And maybe jog a few yards if you get lucky. There are reasons the rest of the world hates us.


Lose Yourself,
[z]ach

No comments:

Post a Comment